Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Think and Therefore I Am

Here's something I wrote a while ago and never figured out what to do with, so I thought I'd post it here.

I Think and Therefore I Am
by Kyle

"I think and therefore I am,"
thought the creature half-human, half-lamb,
as he went on his way
on a glorious day,
and through a great river he swam.

But struck by a horrible thought,
he discovered, "I'm actually not!"
And starting to cry
as the river went by,
he concluded, "Descartes is pure rot!"

The author, without speaking, said,
(for everything was in his head),
"The things that you say
are yours, in a way,
but in truth are from me instead."

The creature, with this new thought, cried,
"I wish I was real!" and he sighed.
"But wait! Don't you see!
You could be like me,
and therefore not real!" he replied.

The author, at this, was confused,
though clearly, he can be excused.
"You think, so do I.
You aren't, but then why
do I think that I am?" he mused.

The author said, "well, this is new.
It appears that I'm fictional too!
Above there must be
another like me,
who's making me do all I do.

"But what if it keeps going higher,
more authors stacked like a tall spire?
It goes out of sight,
to an infinite height,
and never an end to expire.

"There must be someone at the top
though that makes infinity pop.
One day past forever,
is not, nor has never,
been real; there should be no stop.

"And even if that one should try
to visit us, could he defy
the logical trap
of the infinite gap?"
said the author. He heard no reply.

And I, who dreamed all of this up,
am sad as I sip from my cup.
In fiction, you see,
there's no way to be
a part of the world you made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment